New World Enchiladas (Gluten Free)
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Crushed Garlic
- 1-½ Tablespoon corn starch or other thickener of choice
- 2 cans 8 Oz Plain Tomato Sauce
- 1-¾ cup Chicken Stock
- 2 pinches Ground Cinnamon
- 1-½ Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 leaf Bay Leaf
- ½ teaspoons Ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoons Crushed Dried Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- FOR THE ENCHILADAS:
- 1 cup Canned Corn, Rinsed And Drained
- 1 cup Canned Black Beans, Rinsed And Drained
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 whole Medium-sized Yam, Peeled And 1/2 Inch Cubed
- 1 whole Small Zucchini, Diced
- 1 whole Green Bell Pepper, Diced
- 16 whole GF Corn Tortillas
- 2 cups Shredded Jack Cheese
Place olive oil and garlic in sauce pan on medium heat, add cornstarch and whisk 30 seconds. Add in tomato sauce, chicken stock, and spices. Let thicken, put on low heat, simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat, remove bay leaf, whisk in honey. Set aside.
Put corn and beans in a large mixing bowl and set aside. Saute veggies in oil until “al dente”. Mix veggies with corn and beans and set aside.
Microwave tortillas wrapped in a wet dishtowel for 1-2 minutes.
In a 9×13 inch pan ladel in 2 cups sauce. Fill the tortillas with the veggie mix and 3/4 of the cheese. Place them seam side down in your pan. Ladel rest of the sauce on top, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered in a 375 degree F oven for 30-40 minutes.